What is Destinations?
The Destinations Career Academy of New Mexico (NMDCA) is an innovative, tuition-free online program that combines core high school courses with industry-relevant, career-focused electives—giving students in grades 6–12 a jump-start on their college and career goals. Middle school students discover their interests through career exploration courses to learn which fields they may want to pursue. While working toward their high school diplomas, students in grades 9–12 can choose from a variety of courses in these high-demand career fields: Health and Human Services and Information Technology. New Mexico-licensed teachers provide live online instruction and tailor teaching to student needs. Students can participate in career-oriented clubs, gain workplace skills, and prepare to take industry-recognized certification exams in their chosen career path upon graduation.*
Career-focused courses are based on the knowledge and skills required for each career pathway in the following high-demand career fields:
- Health and Human Services: Careers in planning, managing, and providing therapeutic services, diagnostic services, health informatics, and support services. Learn more about Health and Human Services.
- Information Technology: Building linkages in IT occupations for entry level, technical, and professional careers related to the design, development, support, and management of hardware, software, multimedia, and systems integration services. Learn more about Information Technology.
*Many Microsoft® Office certificates can be earned after completing one course. Other certificates require more classes to be better prepared, and students who attend Destinations for at least two years in their desired pathway will have further exposure to career readiness education courses to be prepared for certification testing.
Destinations students can join the SkillsUSA chapter at NMDCA. With curriculum that covers 130 job categories and more than 600 national partners—businesses, trade associations, and unions—SkillsUSA gives students the opportunity to:
- Practically apply what they learn in the classroom
- Take courses in addition to those offered by the NMDCA course catalog
- Participate in academic competitions and community service activities
- Connect with like-minded students who have similar career and academic interests
- Earn scholarships offered exclusively through SkillsUSA